"I've always been a bit obsessed with the aesthetic of film photography, so most of my life I've been documenting my environments and subjects on film and using it in one way or another in all my art work. In a world filled with ethereal digital files created inside computers, using film photography feels almost supernatural due to its existence as an object in our environment. Film is my medium of choice because of its physical nature – it’s a tangible document I make of my reality. However, I want the film to tell a story bigger than that contained in a single photograph, so I cut and edit the film to make new compositions, like a motion picture editor in the 20th century who pieced together multiple fragments of film to create a story. My pieces reveal their narratives through the image, sometimes directly with clear intent and iconography, and other times with pure abstraction and ambiguous content. Yet in each piece the aesthetic thread of construction is consistent, making the physical presence of the composition part of the meaning in the piece. The providence of the artistic process has a beauty all its own, engaging viewers to look deeper and interpret what they see on multiple levels, the familiar glimpses of the subjects documented in the film as well as the remnants of the process."
ABOUT THE ARTIST
David Bellard was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the age of analog photography. Fascinated by film and design, he started learning and exploring these arts on analog cameras throughout his high school and university days - always more interested in how a photo or movie film could be used as a material to be physically altered.
Altering and rearranging images led him to a career in graphic design, crisscrossing the United States to work for DreamWorks in Los Angeles and The Cleveland Play House in Ohio, while in his spare time creating art, exhibiting in galleries, and completing a residency at Virginia Commonwealth University. He later spent eight years in Washington DC as a creative director for Rare - helping partner agencies around the world design and implement behavior change campaigns. His work is on display in many corporate collections across the United States. He now lives in Seattle, Washington and works full-time on his print compositions and commissioned projects with designers and art consultants across the United States.
Bellard's film and video work can be seen at his Vimeo Channel.
EXHIBITIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
• Gallery 110, Seattle WA - “Human/Nature - 8th Annual Juried Show”
• Create Magazine - Feature in Issue 10 (Summer 2018)
• Northwest Film Forum - short film accepted into the 21st Annual Local Sightings Film Festival
• East City Art/Pepco Edison Gallery, Washington DC - “Emulsion 2017”
• Black Blox Gallery, Portland, OR – “Color: Photography Now”
• East City Art/Gallery O on H, Washington DC - “Emulsion 2016”
People’s Choice award winner
• Strathmore Mansion, MD - “Kaleidoscopes: 200 Years”
• Hill Center Gallery, Washington DC - “2016 Regional Juried Exhibition”
• FCCA, VA - "Radius of Shadows" solo show
• Studio Gallery, Washington DC - "Emerging Artists"
• ArtDC Gallery, Washington DC - "WeTweetArt V.3.0"
• Washington Printmakers Gallery, Washington DC - "Excellence in Printmaking""
• Black Whiskey, Washington DC - “Black Whole”
• Artists Television Access, San Francisco CA - “Analogica Selections” Screening
• Washington ArtWorks, MD – September 2015 – “The Land”
• Washington Project for the Arts, DC – Sept 2015 – Dec 2015 – “Massing” solo show
• Shoot 8 Screening, Den Haag, Netherlands – October 2015 – “Shoot 8 Global Super 8 Day”
• OpenStudios DC, Washington DC - "Moving Show"
• New York Center for Photographic Art, NY - "New Creativity"
• Hickock Cole/WPA, DC - "WPA Art Night 2014"
• FCCA, Fredercksburg, VA - "The Human Factor"
• Atsukobarouh Gallery, Tokyo, Japan - "Paper Pirates x Tokyo"
• Analogica Film Festival, Ora, Italy - "Analogica 2014"
• FotoWeek, Washington DC - "FotoBazaar 2014"
• FotoWeek, Washington DC - November 2013 - "FotoBazaar 2013"
· Hunton & Williams, LLP
· The Candy Factory
· Davis Construction
· Kinzelman Art Consultants
· “Op-Ed” – The Art League Gallery, Alexandria, VA – October 2016
· Membership Panel Juror – Torpedo Factory, Alexandria, VA – March 2017
RELATED EXPERIENCE: (cont’d)
· Rare: Technical advisor to Rare’s social marketing programs around the world
· Rare: Producer for multimedia and communication projects in the U.S.
· Cleveland Play House: Art Director
· DreamWorks TV Animation: Assistant
· Photographic Center NorthWest - Darkroom and Lab Assistant
· Smithsonian American Art Museum – Videoconference preseneter
· OpenStudios DC – resident artist
· BFA, Printmaking, Clarion University of Pennsylvania
· Artist Residency, Painting, Virginia Commonwealth University