"Film photography, with its ability to turn reality into a delicate visage of memory, perfectly embodies the aesthetic of dreams in a world full of digital technology. I've always been a bit obsessed with the film aesthetic, so most of my life I've been documenting my environments and subjects on film and using it in one way or another in all my art work. Film is my medium of choice because of its physical nature - it's tactile and manipulating it with my hands satisfies an artistic drive to create something outside of a computer monitor. In many ways my process is similar to a motion picture film editor who cuts and repositions pieces of celluloid together to create new narratives from individual scenes. I have a desire to tell a bigger story than I could with a single photograph, so I'm compelled to physically edit and make new compositions from the film I shoot.
Many of the compositions are no bigger than the palm of my hand, but they started as multiple photos on a roll of transparency film. I photograph the same scene many times from slightly different angles, sometimes double-exposing the film, sometimes shooting details up close. I use different tools and magnifying glasses to cut the film, then adhere the pieces on glass or acetate as I build up the composition, combining and overlapping pieces to alter scenes and create a composite story.
When it's complete I scan it at very high resolution and produce large scale giclée prints or face mounted pieces. With such magnification the artifacts of construction, like the glue, tape, imperfect cuts and overlapping pieces are quite visible and become a roadmap of the artistic process. The providence of the artistic process has a beauty all its own and I want the imperfections to engage viewers to look deeper and interpret what they see on multiple levels, the familiar glimpses of the subjects documented in the film as well as the remnants of the process."
ABOUT THE ARTIST
David Bellard is a Seattle-based artist working in film photography and video installation. Bellard’s photomontage compositions are influenced from a Venn diagram of disparate artists that use photography as a means to an end, such as Gilbert and George, Alexander Rodchenko, Joseph Beuys, Roman Signer, Derek Jarman, Hamish Fulton and Brion Gysin. Bellard exhibits his art and video installations regularly in the U.S. and around the world, and is on display in several corporate collections in the U.S. He is the founder and creative lead at Fluency Creative design studio in Seattle, Washington.
Bellard's film and video work can be seen at his Vimeo Channel.
EXHIBITIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
• Gallery 110, Seattle WA - “Human/Nature - 8th Annual Juried Show”
• Create Magazine - Feature in Issue 10 (Summer 2018)
• East City Art/Pepco Edison Gallery, Washington DC - “Emulsion 2017”
• Black Blox Gallery, Portland, OR – “Color: Photography Now”
• East City Art/Gallery O on H, Washington DC - “Emulsion 2016”
People’s Choice award winner
• Strathmore Mansion, MD - “Kaleidoscopes: 200 Years”
• Hill Center Gallery, Washington DC - “2016 Regional Juried Exhibition”
• FCCA, VA - "Radius of Shadows" solo show
• Studio Gallery, Washington DC - "Emerging Artists"
• ArtDC Gallery, Washington DC - "WeTweetArt V.3.0"
• Washington Printmakers Gallery, Washington DC - "Excellence in Printmaking""
• Black Whiskey, Washington DC - “Black Whole”
• Artists Television Access, San Francisco CA - “Analogica Selections” Screening
• Washington ArtWorks, MD – September 2015 – “The Land”
• Washington Project for the Arts, DC – Sept 2015 – Dec 2015 – “Massing” solo show
• Shoot 8 Screening, Den Haag, Netherlands – October 2015 – “Shoot 8 Global Super 8 Day”
• OpenStudios DC, Washington DC - "Moving Show"
• New York Center for Photographic Art, NY - "New Creativity"
• Hickock Cole/WPA, DC - "WPA Art Night 2014"
• FCCA, Fredercksburg, VA - "The Human Factor"
• Atsukobarouh Gallery, Tokyo, Japan - "Paper Pirates x Tokyo"
• Analogica Film Festival, Ora, Italy - "Analogica 2014"
• FotoWeek, Washington DC - "FotoBazaar 2014"
• FotoWeek, Washington DC - November 2013 - "FotoBazaar 2013"
· Hunton & Williams, LLP
· The Candy Factory
· Davis Construction
· Kinzelman Art Consultants
· “Op-Ed” – The Art League Gallery, Alexandria, VA – October 2016
· Membership Panel Juror – Torpedo Factory, Alexandria, VA – March 2017
RELATED EXPERIENCE: (cont’d)
· Rare: Technical advisor to Rare’s social marketing programs around the world
· Rare: Producer for multimedia and communication projects in the U.S.
· Cleveland Play House: Art Director
· DreamWorks TV Animation: Assistant
· Photographic Center NorthWest - Darkroom and Lab Assistant
· Smithsonian American Art Museum – Videoconference preseneter
· OpenStudios DC – resident artist
· BFA, Printmaking, Clarion University of Pennsylvania
· Artist Residency, Painting, Virginia Commonwealth University